5 days ago, the View From The Wing blog noted that Qantas is adding free chauffeur service for first and business class customers flying on Qantas metal on their long-haul flights to the USA, Dubai, and London.
This is great news for me because on the Trip of a Million Lifetimes we have one of the coveted long-haul Qantas legs in business class, Sydney to Dallas. We actually have other Qantas flights as well, including:
Noumea – Sydney – Melbourne (stopover)
Melbourne – Cairns (stopover)
Cairns – Sydney (stopover); then as noted
Sydney – Dallas
I think normally the pick-up drop off service is only supposed to apply to your long-haul flight and any connections you have to it. Well I checked the Qantas website, and it treats all our legs above as valid connections for the service. Thus they are offering Lady Tocqueville and I a total of four chauffer pickups! They are:
- Airport pick-up at Melbourne
- Airport drop-off at Melbourne
- Airport pick-up at Sydney
- Airport drop-off at Sydney
- In Cairns, we have a rental car and wouldn’t need this service anyway
We were going to take taxis, or the city bus, so this is a massive, free perk I value at around at least $300 USD.
Here is how to register on-line for this awesome service:
- In my case, I had an American Oneworld Explorer Award. I called American and asked for my Qantas record locator number.
- I then went on the Qantas website, and under ‘Manage my booking’ put in the record locator number and my last name.
- Once there, I clicked on “book now” under customize your journey.
- This screen showed all my eligible legs, and I registered our flight information for each one.
- Our flight arrival times and terminals were prepopulated. I keyed in our hotel addresses and we were good as gold as they say down under.
Click manage your booking
I had to do this again for Lady Tocqueville based on her record locator number. I have got to believe Qantas or their chauffeur vendor are smart enough to combine our rides, instead of send 2 limos to pick us up at the same time for each segment. However, we will find out!
How awesome is this!